Back in May, Xiaomi rolled out 2-step verification to Mi Cloud, its cloud-based service for storing and syncing photos, messages, contacts and notes.This adds a nice boost to security for the service.
With this new implementation, you’ll need to enter the verification code which will be sent to your mobile number, after entering your username and password on Mi Cloud.
While 2-Step verification using SMS text message is easy, you can get a bit worried about the SMS charges especially if you need to travel abroad quite frequently.
If that is the case, you can use the Xiaomi Authenticator app to generate the verification codes for you. Alright, that’s the good news.
The bad news ? In order to use Xiaomi Authenticator, you’ll need to activate it. As of right now, its activation page is only available in Chinese. So it’s impossible for non-Chinese readers to do that.
Knowing such a problem exists, I’ve documented the steps I took to activate this service recently based on the guide drafted by “meredithhan” from MIUI forum.
If you can’t wait for Xiaomi to offer this service in English, here’s how I did it.
- On your computer, access https://account.xiaomi.com/ on your web browser.
- Click on Simplified Chinese.
- Now, you can sign in using your Xiaomi username and password.
- On the Login protection field, click Activate.
- Click Activate now.
- Click Get a verification code. The verification code will be sent to your mobile phone. Once you get it, you’ve to enter the code here, then click Next.
- Next, you are given 2 options to download the Xiaomi Authenticator app. For this tutorial, I’ll choose option 1: Scan the QR code to download. Tip: If you’re using a Xiaomi phone, you can launch the Camera app to scan the QR code, and then follow by downloading the app.
- Once you’ve downloaded the apk file, you can install it on your device.
- After the installation completes, you can launch the Xiaomi Authenticator app to set it up.
- Tap Continue.
- Draw a pattern.
- Draw the same pattern again, then tap Confirm.
- Tap Activate Now to launch the viewfinder. You’re now ready to scan the QR code to activate the Xiaomi Authenticator app. Let’s get back to the browser to get the QR code.
- Back to the browser, tap Next after you’ve completed the Xiaomi Authenticator app installation.
- Next, you’ll see the QR code that is used to activate the Xiaomi Authenticator.
- Bring your device’s viewfinder over the QR code to scan it. Once activated, you should see a random 6-digit verification code appears on the app.
- Enter this number on your browser, then click Next.
- That’s it. You’ve successfully activated the Xiaomi Authenticator for 2-step verification. On this page, you are given 2 backup solutions to overcome the problem of losing your phone and thus can’t receive the verification codes.
- Add a backup phone number to receive the verification code.
- A list of 10 backup (static) verification codes, you can use in the event you lose your phone.
- If you’ve done everything you need to do, click Complete.
How to sign Mi Cloud using Xiaomi Authenticator ?
Signing in Mi Cloud or any other Xiaomi services using Xiaomi Authenticator is easy. Here’s how:
- Go to https://i.mi.com (or any other Xiaomi services)
- Enter your usual username and password, then hit Enter.
- Now, you should get the 2-step verification prompt.
- Launch the Xiaomi Authenticator on your mobile device to get the verification code.
- Enter the verification code on the 2-step verification prompt, then hit Confirm.