If, for some reason, you can’t transfer files using the USB data connection, you can try doing it via FTP:
- On your Xiaomi phone, find and launch the Explorer app.
- Tap the FTP button at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Start server. You’ll now see the FTP address that you can enter into the FTP client. Tip: If you wish to be slightly more secure, you can tap Settings to set the client connection username & password.
- On your Windows PC, launch the Windows Explorer, enter the FTP address into the Address Bar, and then press Enter to access the Xiaomi phone storage. Note: Enter the username & password if you need to.
- Now, you can use the copy and paste or drag and drop method to transfer files between your Windows computer and Xiaomi phone.
Note: The steps here were written for a Xiaomi device running MIUI V5. If you’re having a different version of MIUI, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.
Thanks Ethan. It worked very well. Using ftp is quite useful to transfer files between pc and mobile. No cables needed only ftp server running on mobile and file explorer on pc. Thanks again.
Swaroop Shah says
while doing this process XIAOMI phone s data connetion should be kept on or off?
The steps above are using Wi-Fi connection. It doesn’t matter weather your data connection is on or off.
I need to move the files from my xiaomi redmi note to an other external SD card.
I have sufficient space on my SD card..but the computer says you don’t have sufficient space
If the SD card is attached to your phone, then you can use the Explorer app to transfer the files between your phone and the external SD card.
Is there a way I can transfer files from computer to mobile using the same ftp?
You can transfer files between your computer and Xiaomi device using the above method.
thank you for sharing this!!! no more adb things needed. thanks to this transfers can be made anywhere provided that there’s wifi. such a cool thing learned!
I had a Xiaomi Redmi, now I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note. The FTP function worked great for a few days, but now when I try to connect I get the message saying it’s read-only… this is killing me! The Redmi Note doesn’t allow me to transfer using the USB cable unless I install a bunch of Chinese software! Any ideas what this could be?
Is your PC running Windows XP? If yes, you can try the solution suggested here: http://en.miui.com/thread-52226-1-1.html
Also, here’s the guide to download and install the official English version of Mi PC Suite which can be used for file transferring too. It supports Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1.
Rocky Remonde says
For FTP to work, does the PC and your Mi phone must be connected to the same network (where your PC is either wired or wirelessly connected)?
Give it a try. I don’t think it’s necessary as long as both devices can reach each other using IP address.
I don’t see any any explorer app on my redmi 2
I don’t own a Redmi 2. But on my Redmi Note 4G, the app has renamed to File Explorer after some updates.
Hey, thanks SO much. Ive spent hours trying to figure out how to transfer files without ripping the phone apart to get at the sd card.