If you communicate and share media files using WhatsApp, you’ll see the following 2 WhatsApp related folders in your Gallery.
- WhatsApp Video
- WhatsApp Images
If you don’t want everyone to see them, you can hide these 2 folders using either one of these methods:
i. Hiding WhatsApp folders using the built-in hidden feature
- On your Xiaomi phone, find and launch the Gallery app.
- Tap Local images.
- Long tap to select the WhatsApp folders that you wish to hide, and then tap Hidden album.
ii. Hiding WhatsApp folders using the .nomedia file
As per WhatsApp’s recommendation in this post, you can stop all WhatsApp media from appearing in your Gallery by creating a .nomedia file inside of your WhatsApp folders. You can do so using a file explorer app.
If creating a .nomedia file sounds like rocket science, let me show you how to get one without even creating it.
- On your Xiaomi phone, find and launch the Explorer app.
- Go to the /WhatsApp/Media/WhatsApp Voice Notes/ folder. Tap the Menu button, and then select Show hidden files.
- Now, you should see the .nomedia file.
- Next, you can copy this file and paste it in the WhatsApp Video and Images folder. Hint: The Explorer app itself offers copy and paste function.
- By doing so, both of the folders will be hidden from your Gallery.
Note: The steps here were written for MIUI V5 on a Xiaomi device. If youíre having a different version of MIUI, thereís a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.