A nomedia file is an empty file named “.nomedia”. You can place this file into the folders which you want to tell the media scanner that any media files inside these folders should not be shown in apps such as Gallery, Video and Music Players.
For example, you can place a .nomedia file in the WhatsApp images folder to hide it from the Gallery.
There are numerous ways to create a nomedia file, but I find using the ES File Explorer the easiest.
- On your Xiaomi phone, download ES File Explorer from the Google Play.
- Using the ES File Explorer, navigate to the folder which has the media files you don’t want to show in apps such as Gallery, Video and Music player. I’m using the WhatsApp Images folder as an example here.
- Tap New, and then select File.
- Enter the filename “.nomedia”, then hit OK.
- Since this file is in hidden mode, it might not be visible in the folder. You can change the Display settings in ES File Explorer to show hidden files.
Have any other method you used to create a .nomedia file on your Xiaomi device ? Share it in the comments.
Note: The steps here were written for MIUI V5 on a Xiaomi device. If youíre having a different version of MIUI, thereís a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.