If you wish to transfer files between your Xiaomi device and a Mac computer wirelessly, follow these steps:
i. To enable FTP server on your Xiaomi device
- On your Xiaomi device, open the Explorer app.
- Tap FTP at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Start server. You’ll now see the FTP server address that you need to use it for the client connections. Tip: If you wish to be slightly more secured, you can tap Settings to set the client connection username & password.
ii. Connect using the native FTP client
- From your Mac desktop or Finder, hit Command + K to open the Connect to server window
- Enter the FTP server address that you see on your Xiaomi device in the Server address field, and then hit Connect. Note: Enter the username and password if need be.
- Now, you can drag and drop files or folders from your Xiaomi device to your computer.
Note: Using the native FTP client, you can only copy files from the FTP server, in this case your Xiaomi device, to your Mac computer, but not in the reverse order.
iii. Connect using a 3rd party FTP client
There are quite a number of free FTP clients for your FTP needs. For this tutorial, I’m using FileZilla as an example.
- On your Mac, download and install the FileZilla FTP client.
- Launch the FileZilla app, enter the IP address and port number, then hit Quickconnect. Note: Enter the username and password if need be.
- When the FTP client is connected, you’ll see the folders of your Xiaomi device listed on the Remote site (Right). The Local site (Left) shows the folders on your Mac computer.
- Now, you can navigate to the directory/folder that you want to upload or download the files on both the local and remote sites.
- To transfer files, you can drag and drop the files/folders between the local and remote sites.