The specifications of the reviewed unit.
Price: ~US $430
Color: Awesome Blue
Display: 6.5-inch Super AMOLED, FHD+, 120Hz
Audio: Dual speakers
Processor: Exynos 1280
Battery: 5000mAh, 25W fast charging
Back cameras: 64MP main + 12MP ultrawide + 5MP macro + 5MP depth
Front camera: 32MP
Software: One UI 4.1 (Android 12)
Dimensions / weight: 159.6 x 74.8 x 8.1mm / 189g
Here is a list of pros and cons to help you decide if the Galaxy A53 5G is the right phone.
i. Design and Display
- The 6.5-inch FHD+ Super AMOLED display offers vibrant output with crisp details.
- Navigating through the phone feels buttery smooth with the 120Hz refresh rate display.
- The matte finish of the back plastic panel doesn’t attract many fingerprints.
- While it isn’t light and slim, having no sharp edges make it comfortable to hold.
- Its IP67 rating offers dust and water resistance.
- There’s no headphone jack.
- The display doesn’t support an adaptive refresh rate. So, you can either set it at 120Hz or at 60Hz
- It comes with a hybrid SIM card slot, meaning you can have dual SIMs or a SIM and a microSD card at the same time.
- It’s a bit challenging to see the screen in the brightest sunlight.
Performance and battery
- The phone executes the day-to-day tasks such as web browsing, app opening, and multitasking smoothly.
- You can play graphic-intensive games such as Fortnite, Genshin Impact, and PUBG Mobile on this phone but not at the highest graphics settings.
- The storage can be expanded up to 1TB by adding a microSD card.
- With the massive 5000mAh, you won’t have trouble getting through a full day with mixed usage, including light gaming, chatting, web, and social media browsing.
- The dual speakers offer outstanding volume and clarity, making the phone great for enjoying videos.
- It supports 5G connections.
- The Exynos 1280 is a downgrade when compared to the Snapdragon 778G chipset used in the Galaxy A52s.
- The 25W fast charging isn’t fast. It took about 1hr 25 mins to charge from 0% to 100% in my tests.
- It doesn’t support Wi-Fi 6
- Similar to its predecessor, the Galaxy A53 5G comes with a quad-camera array at the back, consisting of a 64MP main with Optical Image Stabilization, 12MP ultrawide, 5MP macro, and 2MP depth. The versatile setup allows you to take photos in a variety of different scenarios.
- The main camera produces beautiful and detailed photos in good light.
- In the low light environments, the photos captured using the standard Photo mode look bright. But, you can use the Night mode for sharper images.
- The main camera also includes Optical Image Stabilization for smoother videos.
- Shots from the macro camera look okay for a mid-range phone.
- Both front and back cameras support 4K videos at 30fps.
- The camera app supports the newly added Object eraser function.
- There’s no optical zoom. Instead, you get up to 10x digital zoom.
- With the 12MP ultra-wide camera, you can squeeze more stuff in the frame, but the distortion around the edges can be noticeable.
Check out the photo samples below.
- The phone comes with Samsung’s One UI 4.1 (the latest One UI version) on top of Android 12. Samsung also guarantees 4 years of major software updates and 5 years of security updates.
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G come with a pre-applied screen protector out of the box?
- What version of Android and One UI does the Galaxy A53 5G come with?
Design & Display
- Is the display of the Galaxy A53 5G good?
- Is the Galaxy A53 5G heavy? And is it nice to hold?
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G have an LED notification light?
- Is the screen of the Galaxy A53 5G usable outdoors?
- Can you watch Netflix & Disney+ in HD video on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Is it possible to connect the Galaxy A53 5G to a monitor with an HDMI cable?
Performance & battery
- How long does it take to charge the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to check the screen-on time (SOT) on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G allow reverse charging?
Network and connections
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G support Wi-Fi 6? Can it connect to the 5GHz Wi-Fi?
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G support dual-frequency GPS/GNSS?
- Can you share the WiFi connection with others on the Galaxy A53 5G?
Home screen & Personalization
Camera & Photos
- How to install GCam on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to scan QR codes on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Can you combine videos together in a collage on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Does the selfie camera on the Galaxy A53 5G support Night mode?
- Can I shoot videos with the front and back cameras on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Is there a secure folder on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Is it possible to lock apps on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to disable the password prompt when powering off the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to hide apps on the Galaxy A53 5G?
Phone & messages
- Why are there 2 SMS apps on my Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to set a different ringtone and message sound for a contact on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to answer calls & stop alarms by tapping on the Galaxy A53 5G ?
- How to record calls on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G have the new emojis?
- How to set a different sound for text messages on the Galaxy A53 5G?
Features and Apps
- How to install Fine Lock on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- Does the Galaxy A53 5G have an FM radio?
- Can I swipe to capture screenshots on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to enter/exit Safe Mode on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to take a partial screenshot on the Galaxy A53 5G?
- How to solve the “The connected USB device isn’t supported” error on my Galaxy A53 5G?