In Android, a .nomedia file is basically a BLANK file with “.nomedia” as the file name. You can place this file into a folder to inform the media scanner that any media files inside this folder should not be shown in apps such as Gallery, Video and Music Players.
There are quite a few ways to create this simple file, but the most common methods are:
i. Using ES File Explorer
- On your Android, install and launch the ES File Explorer app.
- Use the ES File Explorer to browse the folder that you would like to have the .nomedia file.
- Next, tap the menu button and then select New.
- Select File and then enter filename .nomedia
- Press Ok and that’s it.
ii. Using Windows PC
- On your PC, launch the Notepad software.
- Now, go to File > Save.
- Enter .nomedia for the filename and select All Files for Save as type.
- Connect your Android phone to the PC using the USB data cable.
- Using the Windows Explorer, copy the .nomedia file from your PC to the folder that you want stop the media scanning.