When you turn on your new Redmi for the first time, the setup assistant will walk you through connecting to home Wi-Fi, entering account information and turning on certain features.
Here are the screens that you’ll go through:
- If you’ve inserted the SIM card, you would be prompted to enter the SIM card PIN.
- Next, select a language and tap Next. For Redmi of the model number: HM1W, there are only 3 languages: English (United Kingdom), English (United States) and Chinese to choose from.
- On the Input method screen, select the virtual keyboard you want and tap Next. Yes, you can stick with the first option: SwiftKey
- On the Wi-Fi screen, tap your home Wi-Fi network ID, and then enter the password to get connected. Once it’s done, tap Next to continue.
- Next, you can sign in your Xiaomi account or create a new account. If you would like to do this later, tap Skip this step.
- On the Data usage monitor screen, enter your monthly data plan limit, and then tap Next. You can also choose not to do anything, by tapping Setup later.
- If Setup later is selected, you’ll be given the option of whether you want to turn off the mobile data on the next screen. You can leave it on now, if you’ve subscribed a monthly mobile data plan. This option can be toggle on/off at the later stage on the notification panel.
- On the Add an account screen, tap the accounts that you would like to sign in, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the login. Once you’ve all the sign-ins completed, tap Next.
- On the Other services screen, tap Next.
- And last but not least, you should see the congratulatory screen. Tap Start using MIUI to conclude the initial setup.
Note: The steps here were written for Android 4.2.2 on a Redmi (HM1W). If you’re having a different model of Redmi or other version of Android, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.