Update 1/4/2014: Any MIUI theme and theme components (i.e. download from forums, websites or other sources) that does not get uploaded into the MIUI Themes Store, can no longer be applied onto the your Xiaomi devices. Read the new theme policy here.
You know how to download and apply themes from the Themes app. But, do you know you can also install themes that you’ve downloaded from external resources such as forums and websites ?
- Once you’ve downloaded the theme file (with extension .mtz) on your computer, you can transfer it to the SD card or phone storage using the USB data cable.
- On your Redmi, find and launch the Themes app.
- Tap Local.
- Tap the Menu button and select Import from SD card.
- Now, access to the appropriate folder, and tap the .mtz theme file. The theme will install and appear on the Local tab automatically.
- Lastly, tap the theme thumbnail on the Local tab, and then select Apply.
Note: The steps here were written for Android 4.2.2 on a Redmi (HM1W). If you’re having a different model of Redmi or other version of Android, there’s a possibility that the steps and screenshots will be different.
(Click here for more Xiaomi Redmi tutorials, tips and tricks.)
Hi, I tried that way but it said theme from third party are not supported.
Sorry Santa, as per my updated statement at the very beginning of this post, Xiaomi has changed its MIUI theme policy to stop anyway application of themes and theme components that are downloaded externally. Here’s the new theme policy.
is there a work around to get it work in the device??
Yup, you need to sign up for a Xiaomi Designer account. Here’s the thread that talks about this and here’s how to sign up for one.